Recons are a Land Unit. They have appeared in every Advance Wars game to date. Recons are specially designed for Fog of War battles, having great vision as well as a large movement range. They are decently effective against Infantry, but weak against most other Units.
Super Famicom Wars
|Primary Weapon||Ammo||Ammo Price||Range||Machine Gun?||Special Commands|
|Move||Fuel||Cost (G.)||Vision||EXP Value|
- Main article: Recon (Advance Wars 1)
- Main article: Recon (Advance Wars 2)
- Main article: Recon (Dual Strike)
- Main article: Recon (Days of Ruin)
In Fog of War, they have the highest vision range, only tied with Subs and Missiles. For that reason, they are essential in maps where FoW is present. Recons are great at hiding in Woods to scout enemy positions, damaging weakened units or blocking enemy movement.
Outside of FoW, Recons do have some other uses. They are a good tool to quickly reach the center of the map and prevent enemy Infantry from capturing properties, since it has very fast movement in flat terrain. Recons can take on several Infantry without any severe damage. They even hold up decently well against other Recons.
However, in mid to late game, they are easily countered by Tanks, B-Copters, Anti-Airs and even Mechs, so they aren't worth the investment later on. In addition, since Recons move on tires, they get slowed down by Plains and Woods. On maps where these types of terrain are plentiful, a Recon's movement may not be as impressive as the game states.
- Orange Star and Rubinelle's Recons are based on the American Humvee.
- Blue Moon, Lazuria, and IDS's Recons are based on the Russian GAZ-67 jeep.
- Yellow Comet's Recon is based on the Russian BA-20/FAI armored car.
- Green Earth's Recon is based on both the German Sd.Kfz. 231.