Light Tanks, commonly referred to as just Tanks, are a Land Unit. They have appeared in every Advance Wars game. They are small and inexpensive, with a large movement range, making them easy to deploy in large numbers. They are weak against Anti-Tanks, as well as other, stronger Tanks, such as the Main Battle Tank, Neotank, and War Tank.
Light tanks are cheaper and have a greater move range than their heavier counterparts. This makes them useful for reaching distant battles, though they aren't very good at delivering firepower against other tanks. They are, however, devastating against Infantry and good against indirect units. Light tanks make good shields for indirect units.
- Main article: Tank B (Famicom Wars)
Super Famicom Wars
- Main article: Light Tank (Super Famicom Wars)
- Main article: Light Tank (Advance Wars 1)
- Main article: Light Tank (Advance Wars 2)
- Main article: Light Tank (Dual Strike)
- Main article: Light Tank (Days of Ruin)
The tanks in the games are based on real life tanks:
- Orange Star: U.S. M2 Bradley IFV
- Green Earth: German Jagdpanzer Series
- Blue Moon, Lazurian and IDS: Soviet T-34-85.
- Yellow Comet: Renault FT-17 or Type 89 I-Go.
- Rubinelle (Both 12th Battalion and NRA): M551 Sheridan