|Appearances||Advance Wars: Dual Strike|
|Super CO power||Haymaker|
Grimm (Japanese: コウゾウ, Kouzou), nicknamed "Lightning Grimm", is a Yellow Comet CO with a dynamic personality. He couldn't care less about the details, especially insignificant little things like defence. Consequently, his daredevil nature raises his attack power, but his carelessness about the details or planning attitude lowers his defense.
Grimm's Units have 130% firepower, but only 80% defense.
Knuckleduster - Increases Grimm's Units' firepower to 160% and defence to 90%.
Haymaker - This power grants his Units 190% offence and 90% defense.
Grimm has Tag Breaks with the following COs:
"Things are looking Grimm for you! Haaaaar!"
"What a pencil neck!"
"Gwar har har! Go cry like a little girl!"
"That gigantic blob thing is no joke... Well, I bet I can still smash it!"
Sensei: "Ah, Grimm, my old disciple. You've grown quite a bit during these battles... If you agree to train the rest of these rookies, I can finally die happy... If the battle ends poorly, you must escape! I can't outlive my finest student!"
Grimm: "Escape? Gwar har har har har! Sensei, we still need you back home! If you die on us, we're in big trouble! You're going home if I have to pick you up and carry you!"
Grimm's weak defense makes him a difficult CO to play as. He works best when used in situations where the enemy is unable to fight back (such as with indirect-attack units), thus negating the disadvantage of his weak defense. When attacking with direct-attack units, the player should try to use powerful units that are able to severely damage or wipe the enemy out in one hit. This will minimize the damage the enemy is able to inflict when they counterattack.
Grimm is very effective in the campaign missions “Muck Amok” and “Means to an End”, since the player will encounter lots of enemy Oozium units, but not many regular units. When attacking Oozium, Grimm’s high offense will help the player destroy them quickly. Since Oozium’s attack will destroy any unit regardless of how strong its defense is, Grimm’s weak defense is much less of an issue on these levels.
In competitive play, Grimm changes the game a lot, making the game more offense oriented than defense for both players, although to the oppoent's favor. Even so, Grimm is not one of the best CO's. Less defense for you means more offense for the opponent. Combine the 30% offense with the 20% defense, and it's only a 10% net offense. Low defense makes it harder for your Infantry to capture properties. Even his COP and SCOP putting his defense at 90% defense is still disappointing.
Grimm has to be at full health or high enough health to do sufficient damage. Grimm's meatshelding tactics are not recommended as Grimm will lose units very quickly, especially Infantry for capturing.
In order to fully utilize Grimm competitively, all of the following conditions must be met:
- Fog On. Fog Off makes Grimm too predictable to play around. Grimm must also play his Recons very carefully as Tanks and Artillery will OHK them or be left with 1 HP damage.
- Large maps. Small to medium size maps nullify Grimm's capture game.
- Against COs that don't have sufficient unit attack increases. A CO with stat increase like Max (i.e. Directs doing 120 attack to an 80 defense) could cause opposition to wipe out Grimm quickly.
- Against COs that don't have COP nor SCOP that decrease health. Olaf using his 2 HP damage SCOP could end games for Grimm as going on the defensive is not recommended for Grimm and going on the attack risks not delivering severe damage and at the risk of coutnerattacks.
- Maps that focus on Airports and Seaports. The Airports are used for building the already fragile B-Copters and hidden Stealths. Seaports are used to build submerged Submarines. His ground tactics are a lot less effective.
- His ability is similar with the Campaign Mode Sturm in first Advance Wars except he doesn't have movement cost of 1 for all units.
- Hachi in the Battle Maps shop, praises Grimm for being offensive without having pricy units like Kanbei, but also notes that his portly figure is because of donuts.
|COs:||Grimm | Kanbei | Sensei | Sonja|