|A massively powerful plane that can|
attack both ground and naval units.
- Main article: Bomber
Bombers are a highly powerful unit, capable of destroying most surface units in just one hit, and can even hold their own against direct anti-air units given that the Bombers have the first attack. Defensively however, anti-air units can knock a good chunk out of the Bomber's health or even destroy it completely at a significantly cheaper cost. Fighters are also a real problem for Bombers due to their very high movement range and ability to destroy a bomber in one hit at full health. Keep in mind that any unit that can take out the Bombers will always be cost-effective.
While Bombers are not without their practical use, it has too many disadvantages.
- Saving up for them requires you to cede your unit count advantage.
- They're overpriced, especially during the early to mid game, but may be viable late-game.
- Fighters are more devastating to Bombers than Bombers are to land units.
- Anti-Air units, for nearly 1/3 of the price of a Bomber, are a big threat to them.
- Expensive tanks, beyond the occasional Md. Tank, are rarely used.
- B-Copters counter vehicles just fine for less than 1/2 the price.
Bombers are a niche unit in competitive play, even with the minor price cut in Days of Ruin. Use Bombers only to destroy hardened defense lines, take over important chokepoints or pick off indirect units. The enemy might also be tempted to build a Fighter to counter troublesome Bombers, also setting them back economically. Offensively as strong as a War Tank but weak defensively against anti-airs, keep Bombers out of harm's way and they will do devastating damage against naval and armored units.
- The Rubinelle bomber resembles the American B-52 Stratofortress.
- The Lazurian and IDS bombers resemble the Russian Tu-22M Backfire.
- The most damage a unit can seemingly do in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is 810%. This requires a bomber or Submarine with Caulder boarded fighting a Gunboat on a 0 star defense sea tile while having 99 Communication Towers providing buffs.